Friday, June 19, 2015

Interview of Author David Neth

image1.JPGAW: Tell us about yourself…
DN: I'm about to release my first book, The Blood Moonon August 1, 2015. I'm the assistant editor at Western New York Heritage Magazine, where I write and edit stories about local history in Western New York. 

AW: What genre do you write and why?

DN: This first series (the Under the Moon series) is urban fantasy. Some of the books are YA, others are more adult fiction. I like to read all kinds of genres, so I like to write all kinds of genres. I think fantasy is my favorite, but I'll dip into other genres as well. I have a lot of plans for my publishing future.

AW: Tell us about your book….

DN: The Blood Moon is about two brothers, Josh and Chris, who are witches and basically fight evil. That's the story at its bare-bones. But there are so many intricacies in the story as well. I'm horrible at summarizing a book because I don't want to give away too much, but basically Josh and Chris find themselves with a load of threats and no one to turn to for help, so they have to figure it out on their own.

AW: What was your inspiration for this book?

DN: I started working on The Blood Moon so long ago, I honestly don't remember the exact inspiration for it. I had just scrapped a long-winded fantasy epic and I wanted to start something new and fresh. The epic had its own world and sense of time and was too large of a project for a 12-year-old to take on and I wanted to reign in the extra fantasy elements and focus on the story and the characters while still having a distinct mythology behind it.

AW: Do you have a favorite character and why that one?

DN: In my books? Probably Chris. I hope it doesn't show too much, but I'm afraid it might. When I wrote The Blood Moon, he was the same age as I was when I was writing it, so I could relate to him more. But after doing edits on the book when I was older, I actually really liked the boys's aunt, Kathy, and the complexity of her. Part of it is probably because her complexity happened on accident and I just built off of it.

AW: Did you find anything particularly difficult in writing this book?

DN: I wrote The Blood Moon when I was 15. I'm 23 now, so I've grown quite a bit as a person and as a writer since I first wrote this book. So I think the hardest part was the editing. Trying to make sense of the tangents I went on as a kid while fixing the writing mistakes and aligning the timeline with subsequent books. This book spent a lot of time in editing.

AW: What project(s) are you currently working on?
image2.JPG
DN: I'm putting the final touches on the second book in the series, The Full Moon, which is actually a prequel and focuses on Kathy and everything she went through prior to the events of The Blood Moon that made her so complex in the first book. It's a more grown-up read and I was able to dive into more real-life situations while still playing in the fantasy elements of the story.

AW: Do you have any interesting writing quirks you want to tell us about?

DN: Not especially. Like I said, I've changed a lot in the 12 years I've been writing and have had to adapt to the changes in my life. So I've written in complete silence, with my family discussing their day, in a college dorm room, in a NYC apartment, back with my family, and now back to silence. So I haven't really had the luxury to develop any quirks. I need to stay flexible. 

AW: Do you have any advice for writers out there?

DN: If you enjoy writing, write. Don't let any doubts creep in that say you're not good enough or your story won't sell. Stranger things have happened. You'd be surprised what the next best thing is. (No one really knows...)

AW: Where can we find you? 


AW: And of course we have to know, where can we find your book? 

DN: My book is available for preorder at most locations, except Barnes and Noble. However, it will be available on Nook and as a paperback on August 1, 2015. Until then, preorder from the following retailers:

0 comments:

Post a Comment